This web site was started 20 years ago to support the Knickerbocker Historical Society at Schaghticoke, NY and to provide a spot for sharing family information. The genealogy world has greatly changed from my publishing a paper family newsletter in the 90s to having massive commercial on-line sites and DNA based genealogy available today.
I have kept this site available to provide the base family genealogies and as a link to the Society. Research of a more general nature will always have a home here. Welcome Cousin.
[Picture of our Middlefield House]
Origins of the Family Name – A New Study
Bryan has delivered a massive three part study of the various naming patterns associated with Harmen Janse. From my view we can totally discard the conjecture of the previous 150 years. This study is ground-breaking in scope and in the discovery and presentation of new documentation.
Until now, one of the primary sources for Knickerbocker genealogists was a 1916 study by Kathlyne Viele. I've always had a mixed view of Ms. Viele. She did great work in debunking the false "Van Berghen" story that was invented by Joseph and John Knickerbocker and then propagated by Egbert Viele. However, Ms. Viele replaced the earlier myths with her own "Van Wie" story, without providing any supporting evidence.
I’ve thought for many years that the immigrant was a simple farmer and the names he used were indicative of locale or vocation. This new study adds weight to that premise. Hopefully this will spark a broader discussion, and generate energy for further work on the true roots of our ancestor, Harmen Janse.
· Many Names of Harmen Janse – Part 1 - Van Turkeyen and Van Bommel Link
· Many Names of Harmen Janse – Part 2 - Van Wye Link
· Many Names of Harmen Janse – Part 3 – Van Berghen Link
Previous Original Studies
· Original Pronunciation of Knickerbocker Link
· Origin of the Name Knickerbocker Link
· Chester Center Cemetery – Collaboration and A Find A Grave Study Link
· John Knickerbocker & Lydia Jackson Link
· Migrations of the Early Knickerbockers Link
· Many Benjamin Knickerbockers Link
· Hugh Knickerbocker and Rachel Schram Link
· The Father of Solomon Knickerbocker (1812-92) Identified Link
· Analysis of the Kathlyne Viele Genealogy with Translations Link
Designed entirely with Word 2013